This text is for the tenth formers.
"My summer holidays".
Summer is the most wonderful time for holidays. I always look forward to my summer vacations. There are different ways of holiday-spending and you can vary it. You can stay at home sleeping off, reading interesting books, watching TV or playing computer games all day long.
Some people spend their holidays at the seaside or in the mountains.You can also spend several weeks in the country walking through the green fields, watching the clouds and enjoy a nice smell of flowers sitting down on a soft meadow. It’s nice to go for walks to the forest picking mushrooms and berries. If you do not mind of listening to the barking of the dogs and the croaking of the frogs in the evening, go to the country.
Some people want to visit some exotic place like China or Vietnam going sightseeing and visiting the places of interest.
To my mind if your idea of a holiday is something relaxing have a camping holiday.
Our company annualy spends summer holidays on the coast of the Japan sea.We place a tent in a quiet picturesque place on the sea shore for several weeks.We are not afraid of mosquitoes, damp,typhoons and wind. We enjoy fresh sea air and sun all day long. I never get bored there. As a rule I make new friends when I am on a holiday. In the daytime we play volleyball, go fishing and boating, swim in the warm water of the sea, sunbathe, read magazines, newspapers.I like to walk along the beach collecting beautiful shells and interesting pebbles.
In the evening I like to sit on the beach watching the rise and the fall of the waves and enjoying the sunset. Our company finds great pleasure in making bonfires and cooking barbecues. We like to sit around the camp fire telling anecdotes, funny stories and singing to a guitar. At night everyone sleeps except me. I enjoy being alone and observing the sky. The night stars attract me so much that I don’t notice anything else. Later it’s nice to sleep in a tent in your sleeping-bag listening to the noise of the waves.
On this sort of holiday I get absolutely relaxed. There is nothing better for giving you energy to keep you going through the winter. We return home happy and full of impressions.
Teacher: Answer the questions:
- Do you always look forward to your summer holidays?
- What do you usually do if you stay at home in summer?
- Are you fond of travelling?
- What countries would you like to visit?
- Have you ever been in the country?
- What did you do there?
- Do you like camping holiday?
- What do you usually do on the sea shore?
- Are you fond of lying in the sun or swimming ?
- What do you enjoy doing in the evening?
- What is your idea of an ideal holiday?
Find the equivalents:
- Ждать с нетерпением
- Гулять по полю
- Смотреть на облака
- Собирать грибы и ягоды
- Осматривать достопримечательности
- Проводить отпуск на берегу моря
- Наслаждаться свежим морским воздухом
- Собирать ракушки и камешки
- Готовить шашлыки
- Петь под гитару
Translate into Russian:
- time for holidays
- a smell of flowers
- the barking of the dogs and the croaking of the frogs
- visiting the places of interest.
- a camping holiday
- to be afraid of mosquitoes, damp,typhoons
- to get bored
- to go fishing and boating
- to walk along the beach
- to sit around the camp fire
- to sleep in a tent
- to return home happy and full of impressions
Find the adjectives in the text. Agree or disagree using phrases:
- In my opinion.
- To my mind.
- It goes without saying.
- It’s hard to say.
- It is a pity.
- I doubt it.
- Spring is the most wonderful time for holidays.
- Staying at home is the only way of holiday-spending.
- Some people spend their holidays at the seaside, in the mountains or in the country.
- If your idea of a holiday is something relaxing have a camping holiday.
- Our company annualy spends summer holidays on the coast of the Black sea.
- In the daytime we play football, go diving and boating, swim in the warm water of the sea.
- Our company doesn’t find great pleasure in making bonfires and cooking barbecues.
- I hate being alone at night.
- It’s awfully to sleep in a tent in your sleeping-bag listening to the noise of the waves.
- On this sort of holiday I get absolutely relaxed.
Make sentences out of the following words:
- I, on, to, beach, like, the, rise, sit, the,watching.
- Do, like,telling,to, sit, you, anecdotes, the, around, fire?
- Gives, it, you, to, going, energy, you, through, the, keep,winter.
- Enjoy, sky, the, observing, I, night.
- Been, you, have, camping, ever ?
Translate into English:
- Существуют различные способы проведения каникул.
- Я люблю проводить летние каникулы дома, читая книги и играя в компьютерные игры.
- Наши друзья обычно уезжают в деревню на все лето.
- Каждое лето мы устанавливаем палатку на берегу моря в тихом живописном месте.
- Тебе умеешь готовить шашлыки?
- Они вернулись домой загорелыми и полными впечатлений.
- Мне нравятся люди, которые умеют рассказывать анекдоты.
- Ночные звезды привлекают меня так сильно, что я не замечаю ничего другого.
Complete the sentences:
- I always look forward to my summer vacations______
- Don’t spend your holidays at home______
- You can go for several weeks to the country______
- It’s nice to go for walks to the forest______
- Isn’t always fun picking mushrooms and berries______
- We are not afraid of mosquitoes and damp______
- I never get bored on the coast of the sea______
- Let’s go fishing and boating______
- There is nothing better to travel______
Discuss in pairs the question and report your opinion in class.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of your favourite way of holiday-making? Make notes. Use the plan below .
- The way of holiday-making;
- Possible advantages;
- Possible disadvantages;